The Heritage Centre Opening Hours
Wednesday 10am - 3pm
Saturday 10am - 3pm
Other times can be booked.
The rooms are named in honour of men who have played a prominent part in the history of the Institution.
William F Massey was born in Limavady in 1856 and was the 19 th Prime Minister of New Zealand, his adopted homeland. He became Grand Master of the Orange Order and served as Prime Minister from July 1912 until his death in May 1925.
The room is named in honour of Major F.C.B. Trench of Greystone Hall, leading Unionist and Orangeman during the third Home Rule Crisis.
The Phillips Room is named in honour of Sir Thomas Phillips who established Newton Limavady in the early 1600s and Col. George Phillips MP, whose warning which led to the gates being closed in Londonderry against the Jacobites.
THE PHILLIPS ROOM
This room is named in honour of Rev John Graham, rector of Tamlaghtard, Church of Ireland, Magilligan. A renowned historian and poet, he was Grand Master of Co. Londonderry and served as Grand Chaplain of the Grand Lodge of Ireland.
The graham room
This centre is the home of Orangeism in Limavady and an expression of the vibrancy of the Orange tradition in the area.
The Loyal Orange Institution was founded in 1795 at Loughgall in County Armagh. However there were earlier Orange movements between 1690 and 1795 and some were active in County Londonderry. There is an account, for example, of an ‘Orange Club’ meeting at Clubhill between Ringsend and Garvagh and giving the area its name. Little information survives on these earlier and less-structured Orange movements.
It is believed that the first Orange lodges in Limavady were formed between 1798 and 1800. By 1811 Limavady had sufficient lodges to have an Orange District. This brought several lodges in an area under an administrative umbrella.
The Limavady Orange Centre has a fantastic display of interpretive panels and historical artefacts which help explain the history of the Orange tradition in this area.