In 1955 a 15 acre piece of land situated on Roemill Road was purchased by the District Loge following an appeal for funds to the entire Protestant community. The appeal raised £2059.45d and the actual land, which had previously been owned by the Ritter family, was purchased for £1500.00 and for the first time in 150 years Limavady Orangemen had acquired their own Deomstration Field.
Previous venues used for Twelfth Demonstrations in Limavady had been; Aghanloo, Fruithill, Barley Park, The Lodge, Roe Park and Killane. Since 1955 the Field has been used fifteen times to host the Demonstration; 1955, 1957, 1961, 1965, 1969, 1974, 1978, 1982, 1986, 1990, 1994, 1997, 1999, 2003 and 2007.
Over the years the Field has been used by the Royal Black Institution for numerous Black Saturday Demonstations and the Apprentice Boys of Derry have used it on occasions for the burning of Lundy. The District Lodge now use the Field as an assembly area for the 11th night parade and in the past have used it or various Festival events, bonfires and fireworks displays.
In 1979 the Late Bro William Scott (PDM) who had been a member of the Field Committee, serving for many years as Treasurer rented the field for an annual fee of £60. Today his sons continue to rent the field. The Scott family play a major role in preparing the Field for the Twelfth Demonstration and we are indebted to them for this.
An Orange Field Committee overseed the day to day running of the Field. This committee is made up of the Trustees of the Orange Field, together with the District Master and one Representative from each of the fifteen Lodges and Star of the East RBP.
The longest serving Chairman of the Orange Field Committee was Bro Sam Riley who served for 33 years. When he retired from the position in 1993 he was presented with a picture depicting a bridge which used to streach across the river roe at the Orange Field. The current Chairman, Wor. Bro. Ernest Clyde BEM was Bro. Riley’s successor.